Monday, April 21, 2008

China Holiday begins

My mom made it to China and I promptly handed the girls over to her and went off for a foot massage. Now I understand why Marsellus Wallace (Pulp Fiction) throws that chap over the balcony for giving his wife a Foot Massage. It was a 70 minute massage and boy was I relaxed at the end of it, my holiday has finally begun.

The weather has improved, it still drizzles but we've had good days to go out and explore. The skyscrapers here are jaw-droppingly gorgeous. We are surrounded by so many huge buildings that looking at the world's tallest building does not seem that tall. When we drive past it or look at it in awe from Avi's apartment Tara mutters I can climb that. We saw a Pagoda which was built in 242BC and even though it was short marveled in it's richness. There is such a mix of the old and the new here.

Avi has hired a fancy minivan with a chauffeur to haul us around town, which is great since travelling with 2 strollers, 2 diaper bags, 4 bags of fake goods and 2 kids does not free up a hand to hail for a cab. Plus the billion odd people come in the way! We've been shopping at both the glitzy high fashion stores and the fake ones where the hagaling reaches new heights. I'm not good at bargaining so I leave it to Mom, she's a pro. I picked up a good pair of sandals only to realize when I got home that they weren't Columbia but Colenbia. But for $10 worth the typo. Tara gets tired of the shops so we can't stay for too long, which totally sucks.

The girls are adjusting to their new surroundings. Tara keeps saying I want to go home mummy. She misses her friends and her daycare and asks to speak to S everyday. She is having a blast playing in the apartment's playground and watching Jungle Book. Nisha is a mini-celebrity here. Every time we take her out we get hoards of people crowding around her stroller and pinching her thighs and the back of her hands as if examining a plump chicken. Camera phones go off and we are blinded by flashes, it's strangely embarassing. People here are amazed at her chubiness and cannot believe that her eyebrows are natural. They think I'm the maid pushing the stroller, what with my Colenbia sandals, who can blame them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss you. Pizza and cookies in the market are not the same!